Thursday, December 11, 2014

Day 10 - The Drive By

For the 10th day of December, I decided to focus on giving something to someone that I take for granted.  I went and bought a burger from A&W with the intention that I'd be giving it to someone who needed it.  As I was driving down Main St. in downtown Hamilton late last night, I noticed a young homeless man sitting in the middle of the sidewalk.  He was holding a sign that I couldn't read from my car, but I decided to pull over up beside him in the bus lane.  I shouted for his attention and as he walked over I asked if he was hungry, "oh yes I am" he replied.  I handed him the bag and as he looked inside he had a big smile on his face and said "oh my god thank you so much."  I wish I stayed to talk to him, but I was forced out of my spot by a city bus.  I usually end these notes with a pun but this one really touched me.  It made me realize through his reaction how much this offer meant to him and how much I overlook these small privileges.


No comments:

Post a Comment