Monday, December 8, 2014

Giving Presence

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog, #givepresence.  My name is Vince, I am a Key Leader at lululemon athletica Oakville - I love puns, sports, kids, talking to strangers and making people smile.  For the next 24 days I will be posting a weekly note about the different random acts of kindness I commit throughout each week of December (and beyond).  My intention is to give the people who I reach the gift of presence for the holiday season. We all know how stressful it is to track down that Frozen Elsa doll or to find that parking spot on a busy Saturday afternoon.  My goal is to have these random acts of kindness remind people that through all of the chaos we all have the opportunity to step back and live in the moment.


Day 1 - Sole to Soul

For about a year now, there has been a brand new pair of Asics running shoes sitting around our store.  They were size 8.5 baby blue with a white logo and some reflective accents around the midsole, they not only brightened up the room but I was hoping they'd also brighten up someone's day.  So my good friend Kelsang told me I should just give them away.  I was doubtful at first as I knew I had to match up the size and style of shoe with a random guest that came into the store.  Not even 2 minutes after our discussion, a guest strolls into the store with a similar style of shoe so I ask her (don't worry I was smooth with this one) what size her feet were, she replied "7.5 or 8, oh please don't show me any shoes, I'll probably buy them."  I told her their story and that we'd be giving them to her, she tried them on and absolutely loved them.  Although she may have not needed a pair of shoes, I hope this gesture touched her 'sole' and encouraged to do something similar for someone else.


Day 2 - Chai Something new

We have all heard the story of someone in a drive thru paying for the person behind them. I wanted to take this a step further and get to know the person that I'd be paying for.  So I walked down the street to Aroma Cafe on Lakeshore, I have to admit I was slightly nervous - side note: these random acts of kindness give me the same tingly feeling I would get before a big football game.  So I stood in line waiting for someone to come in behind me, sure enough within 30 seconds a girl came in and I asked her if I could buy her coffee, she was surprised and accepted with a smile on her face. The manager introduced us and it turned out she played Hockey at Laurier at the same time I played football there. When you're open to 'chai' new things, it's amazing what will come about.


Day 3 - It Was Nice To Meter

Everyone in downtown Oakville knows that parking is a pain in the a**, so I figure why not help them relieve that pain with a few dollars.  This one was interesting as I couldn't really be sly, I stood on the sidewalk by the machine for a few minutes looking back and forth hoping someone would pull into the spot in front of our store.  As this woman in a minivan finally pulled in, I didn't know how to react - I did the whole awkward step forward, step back dance waiting for her to notice me.  As she got out I told her that I'd love to pay for her parking today, she replied "Oh you're doing one of those nice gestures, well thank you and I will definitely pass this on."  This one gave me a good feeling based on her reaction, it made her happy, she was appreciative and she would pay it forward.  It sure was nice to 'meter'...


Day 4 - Everyone Nose

After the Santa Claus parade in November, we had an excess of red noses in the store. Even though I do my best every day to make the kids in the store smile, I thought there'd be no better way than to distribute these noses.  So throughout the day on Dec.4 (which also marked our store's 10 year anniversary) I wore my red nose and handed others out to any kids who came in with their parents.  I had a variety of reactions, some kids absolutely loved it and put them on right away, others were terrified and hid from me (it happens more than I'd like to admit).  This wasn't intended to be an over the top act of kindness, but it definitely made a lot of people smile - even the guests that didn't get a nose.  I would say everyone 'nose' this was a success...

Day 5 - Passing The Time

As a high school football player, I always had the dream of playing football at a Division 1 school in the States. Prior to working at lululemon I was fortunate enough to be able to coach at that level and give kids like my old self the opportunity to gain that experience.  On Friday, I volunteered a few hours to sit down with a prospective quarterback (hence the 'passing' the time pun) and his father to discuss possible opportunities and implement a plan that will help him reach his goal.  I know this is more of an assigned act of kindness, but it was just a reminder how good of a feeling it is to help others no matter the avenue. I will continue to meet with him to help him on his journey and I hope this encourages others to use their knowledge and pass it on to someone who wants or needs it.


Day 6 - The Canadian Classic

When most Canadians think of a random act of kindness the first thought that pops in their head is the drive thru gesture at Tim Horton's.  So I figured I had to do this at least once this month.  I pulled into the Tim Horton's by Sherway mall and ordered myself a green tea (leaf me alone, alright?).  I then got that pre-game rush of adrenaline as I told the employee that I'd be paying for the person behind me.  She was in training and admitted she was not 100% sure how to put it through, with some patience and a few smiles it was all figured out. Once I finished paying for their coffee, I drove off into the night with a smile on my face. I committed the "Canadian Classic."

Day 7 - The All Star Move



With the theme of giving presence for this month, I decided to give my presence to two young boys in the store who were waiting patiently for their parents.  I took a liking to them as they reminded me of how my brother and I would sit together waiting for our parents.  I noticed they were sporting hockey logos on their jackets so I asked if they played and they went on to tell me they each scored 2 goals that morning in their games.  After going back and forth with them for a few minutes I asked them to autograph our feedback book and to leave me a little note along with it.  I asked them to write what they would tell me before I were to play a big game, so the older brother wrote his name and "Have fun and hustle" and the younger brother wrote "skate hard and play hard."  I was impressed at what they wrote and told their parents they should be proud.  Their mom looked at me and told me I made their day, that's all I needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment